City of Fishers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Laborer - Water Quality
at City of Fishers
If you take pride in a job well done, are a self-starter, who enjoys working outdoors and working on a team; can thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment with high standards; have excellent communication skills and a strong work ethic then this might be the position for you!
Under the Department of Public Works (DPW) this Laborer role performs manual work maintaining City sanitary sewer collection systems and storm water drainage systems. Projects of the division include: street cleaning, asphalt and concrete work, sewer repair and maintenance, easement and right of way clearing, along with snow removal with other Public Works divisions. Equipment used includes vactor truck, sewer jet cleaner, street sweeper, jackhammers, rollers, saws, back-hoes, dump trucks, etc.
Other important responsibilities of the position include working at up to 100 special events held in the community (ex. concerts, 5K runs, holiday events, etc.).
Fishers DPW is the only municipal public works department in Indiana to hold the American Public Works Association (APWA) Certification which recognizes agencies that meet compliance with the recommended management practices set forth in the Public Works Management Practices Manual.
- Examples of Duties
- Perform curb and inlet repairs
- Assist with visual inspections
- Clean sewers using a sewer jet machine
- Sweep streets
- Raise manhole covers in the event they are buried or below ground level
- Perform sewer line repairs
- Trim trees and bushes along sewer easements and right of ways
- Assist with snow removal from City streets
- Assist Public Works Department as necessary
- Clean shop and equipment as necessary
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Possess a valid Indiana drivers license with ability to obtain CDL (Commercial Driver's License) within 1 year of hire;
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs;
- Working knowledge of light to heavy duty vehicles and equipment (trucks, tractors, small machines, etc);
- Ability to climb ladders and maintain balance;
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with a variety of people;
- Able to handle several projects at the same time;
- Experience in wastewater treatment, storm-water management, or related field preferred;
- Position requires availability to work outside of normal business hours when necessary including snow plow duties.