Tropicana Entertainment Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Tap House Sous Chef
at Tropicana Entertainment Inc.
SUMMARY: Provide general supervision to the culinary team. Direct the daily execution of all assigned kitchen's food production and service execution while establishing and maintaining standards of operation in the areas of food quality, timeliness of food, cleanliness and maintenance, profitability, training and supervision of staff; ensure compliance with health department regulations while supporting Tropicana's vision, mission and values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in staff, schedule, evaluate, train, develop and monitor culinary team. Recommend wage increases, promotions, demotions, discipline and other employment actions for team members.
- Understand department objectives, standards, and guidelines to achieve effective supervision of department; adjust daily schedule according to business levels.
- Oversee all cooking operations, including methods of preparation, portion control, monitoring timeliness of food delivery and garnishing; ensuring a high quality preparation and attractive presentation of all food to meet corporate standards and policies.
- Observe and monitors staff adherence to health department regulations regarding food handling, storage, temperature, and cleanliness of work environment.
- Assists in developing and implementing department management plans including budgets, labor schedules and systems of accountability.
- Assists in developing and implementing policies, procedures and rules including operations manuals, to promote compliance with company and regulatory guidelines.
- Ensure proper communication between front of house and back of house operations while taking ownership of all responsible areas.
- Meet daily deadlines of opening, creating, and posting table-talks for specials and produces sample dishes for pre-shifts in a timely manner and reviews special postings and prep level.
- Ensure periodic quality checks for all products, i.e., temperature checks are conducted.
- Monitoring of weekly sales and adjusts prep production levels as well as ensuring all food products are ordered to par levels and can make adjustments according to business volumes.
- Ensure daily line checks are performed with front of the house managers.
- Oversees all stations are properly stocked and set up and ensures all kitchen equipment and working conditions are well maintained.
- Ensure quality of food meets company specifications and cleanliness standards.
- Assist in maintaining food and labor costs at the budgetary guidelines.
- Ensure accurate inventories are conducted.
- Write and cost recipes while developing a collection of recipes in a linked Excel recipe book.
- Perform all duties including purchasing and menu changes, in adherence to all company standards and policies.
- Knowledgeable of the Indiana Gaming regulations as well as Tropicana Evansville's internal controls, policies and procedures
- Ensures all departmental personnel follow the Thoughtful Service model at all times
- Must be available for regularly scheduled work
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly supervises Team Members in the Culinary Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include assisting with interviewing, hiring and appraising performance.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Great verbal and written communication skills, problem solving ability and excellent organizational skills
Ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines
Basic knowledge and understanding to calculate, analyze and troubleshoot P&L
Ability to demonstrate expertise in performing all supervisory and line positions within the kitchen
Ability to adapt to changing market conditions
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: These skills and abilities are typically acquired through completion of a degree from a certified food service program, apprenticeship, culinary school or equivalent; a minimum of 5 years previous industry experience, with 2 years experience as a Lead Cook / Supervisor or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: ServSafe Certification and must be able to obtain and maintain an Indiana Gaming Commission License.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to communicate effectively in English. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products and all other systems associated with position.
Access to Gaming Facility: Yes
Access to Sensitive Materials: Yes access to departmental payroll/payroll records, and departmental budgetary information.